KUALA LUMPUR: Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman has vowed to fight his corruption charges, saying that he has full faith in the legal system to clear his name.
The former youth and sports minister repeated his claims made in a short video posted on his social media account on Wednesday night that the charges came after he refused to support the Perikatan Nasional government.
“If you think the threats will weaken my spirit, you are wrong. It will only increase my resolve to clean up Malaysia and build a Malaysia for all Malaysians.
“The threats will in no way weaken my morale but in reality, only strengthen it,” he told reporters after being charged with corruption at the Kuala Lumpur Sessions Court yesterday.
Syed Saddiq, who is the co-founder of the yet-to-be-registered Muda (Malaysian United Democratic Alliance), also questioned the timing of the charges, saying that the order to charge was given in August last year.
“I think this shows that the case is politically motivated and I will challenge it. I have full confidence in the courts and judges to clear my name,” he said.
The 28-year-old has claimed trial to two counts relating to criminal breach of trust and misappropriation of funds belonging to Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia, of which he is its former Armada (Youth) chief.
Syed Saddiq added that he had declared his assets to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission when he became a minister. He served under the Pakatan Harapan administration from 2018 until its collapse last year.
The Muar MP also said he had advocated for the government implementing a political funding law and noted that the charges were not related to his time in the government.
Several of his fellow opposition politicians were at the court yesterday in a show of solidarity with him.