Saifuddin: Fake news on the decline


PETALING JAYA: The state of emergency, which is scheduled to end on Aug 1, has seen a tremendous decrease in fake news trends in the country, says Communications and Multimedia Minister Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah (pic).Sharing information from the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM), he said the average number of cases concerning the spread of fake news had dropped to seven cases a month since the Emergency Ordinance was enacted, compared to a monthly average of 24 cases previously.

He said a total of 465 fake news related to Covid-19 had been debunked by the authorities since the start of the pandemic in March last year.

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Johor International Book Bazaar aims for 500,000 visitors, says exco
Police step up patrols after two gold shop robberies in Pahang
Malaysia, Brunei agree to use Asean mechanism to tackle transboundary haze
Education Ministry approves RM2mil for immediate repairs for collapsed SMK Juasseh roof
PAS more interested in foreign policy than Tabung Haji issue, says Fahmi
AUKU repeal to pave way for new higher education law
Bomba water bombing to fight Samunsan forest fires
Government seeking ways to reduce Sabah, Sarawak flight fares
Malaysia-Brunei border issue among matters discussed at ALC-27, says PM Anwar
Haze: 11 areas in S'wak record unhealthy API readings as of 3pm

Others Also Read