Extensive probe into crash

VIP visitors: Dr Wee (centre) and Federal Territories Minister Tan Sri Annuar Musa checking on the well-being of a victim of the LRT collision at Hospital Kuala Lumpur.

PETALING JAYA: The probe into the head-on crash between two LRT trains in Kuala Lumpur on Monday will look at all possible angles, says Transport Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong.

“We have to investigate all possibilities and angles.

“We have our SOP, and those involved in the investigations are not those who are involved in the operations of the LRT because we have to be fair to all parties.

“All our teams have started work and we have identified the experts we want to be involved in the probe, ” he said at a press conference at a press conference at Hospital Kuala Lumpur yesterday, where several of the injured passengers were warded.

Dr Wee said the report would be completed two weeks from the day of the incident.

“No assumptions will be made now.


“We will see how it happened, why it happened, and what is needed to address the drawbacks, ” he said.

“Then a report will be sent to the minister, and it will be discussed at the Cabinet.

“We are working day and night, ” said Dr Wee, who thanked all parties involved in the rescue, including the police and firefighters.

The Transport Ministry has also set up a special committee headed by ministry secretary-general Datuk Isham Ishak to investigate the incident.

Dr Wee said the Transport Ministry would prepare a Cabinet paper on the accident and produce an action plan with proposals for long-term improvements to safety for train operators.

In Monday’s incident, Train 40 had no passengers as it was not in service.

When it was taken over by a driver in manual mode, Train 40 was supposed to head southbound towards the Dang Wangi station, but it instead headed towards Gombak or northbound.

“This caused Train 40 and Train 81 to collide, ” said Dr Wee.

Following the head-on collision between the two trains about 100m from the KLCC station, all passengers were evacuated by 9.28pm.

While reiterating that Prasarana would extend financial assistance of RM1,000 to each of the victims, Dr Wee said the government’s priority now was to ensure the victims receive adequate medical treatment.

He also said financial assistance would be extended to those who lost their income due to this accident.

“For the Transport Ministry, we sympathise with those who were injured, ” he said.

Meanwhile, Hospital Kuala Lumpur director Datuk Dr Heric Corray said yesterday that three patients were still in the ICU.

“The three are in a semi-critical condition, but they are stable.

“The injuries range from internal bleeding to fractured bones.

“One has injuries to the chest, ” he said, adding that in total, six patients were still warded.

Dr Heric added that 61 patients who were admitted on Monday evening had been treated and discharged.

Dr Wee said that the LRT operator, Prasarana Malaysia, had been given three days to remove the trains and clear all debris inside the tunnel.

He also assured that efforts would be made to prevent overcrowding at LRT stations, while free bridging bus service would be provided.

“We will also mobilise officers to ensure SOP compliance, and we will limit commuters on platforms, ” he said, adding that this matter was expected to be solved in the coming days.

The Kelana Jaya line was the first fully automated metro line in Malaysia when it started operation in 1998.

With 37 stations, it is the busiest metro line in Malaysia, moving nearly 300,000 passengers on an average working day before the Covid-19 pandemic.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Nation

All concerts in Kedah temporarily suspended, says exco member
Penang devotees celebrate Nine Emperor Gods Festival after two-year hiatus
Klang police seeking witness to attend murder trial
US FAA restores Malaysia's air safety rating to Cat 1
Struggling businesses urge govt to continue with loan moratoriums
Temporary flood relief centre in Kluang closes, two remain open
Singer Yasin files representation to review drug charges
RM1mil deposited into Shahrir's joint account with wife, bank manager tells court
Sabah, Sarawak MPs support formation of Borneo political caucus
Dr Wee attends reception to seek support for seat into ICAO Council

Others Also Read