PETALING JAYA: All of Malaysia will come under the movement control order from tomorrow until June 7 in view of a “more critical and vicious third wave” of Covid-19 infections.
“With daily cases exceeding 4,000 cases, and with 37,396 active cases and 1,700 deaths as at May 10, Malaysia is facing a third wave that could break into a national crisis, ” said Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin (pic).
“Data and science show gatherings make social distancing difficult and that the presence of large groups in closed spaces is the main cause of Covid-19 spreading.
“The chain of infection can only be broken with the public staying home by enforcing stricter movement control, ” he said in a statement yesterday.
The rules and restrictions include:
> No mass gatherings such as weddings, dinners and tahlil, nor government and private events;
> No face-to-face seminars or meetings;
> No inter-district and interstate travel except for work and economic purposes, health matters, emergencies, vaccination appointments and long-distance couples;
> All educational institutions to be closed with exceptions for students sitting for international examinations;
> Childcare centres, nurseries and kindergartens allowed to operate;
> A three-person limit, including the driver, in personal vehicles, taxis and e-hailing rides;
> Employers to enforce a work-from-home order with no more than 30% of its management in office at any one time; and
> Akad nikah allowed based on the standard operating procedure (SOP) by the state Islamic agencies for Muslims, and by the National Registration Department for non-Muslims.
Muhyiddin said the restriction on inter-district and interstate travel, as well as social, sports and education activities, started yesterday and would go on until June 6 as previously announced.
“The start for the rest of the instructions will begin May 12 and be in effect until June 7, ” he added.
Throughout this period, all economic sectors would remain operational, he said.
“The government will continue using the HIDE (Hotspot Identification for Dynamic Engagement) system to monitor premises and hotspots, as well as take follow-up actions.
“I hope the public will remain disciplined and continue to abide by the SOP to break the chain of infections, ” he said.
Muhyiddin reminded all Malaysians that the best course of action was to stay at home.
“We flattened the curve during the first and second wave. I wish to remind all that the third wave we are currently facing is more fierce and critical.
“We have not won. God willing, we will beat this virus, ” he added.
Prior to yesterday’s announcement, which underscored the growing severity of the situation, the MCO had been enforced in certain “red” districts.