IPOH: Residents here are on high alert after a surge of Covid-19 cases in the city.
Many of the people interviewed said they were now taking extra precautions after an increase in cases, mainly caused by the Jalan Canning Estate cluster located near here.
Graphic designer Mohd Adam Jalaludin, 36, whose office is in Canning Garden, said he has had his premises sanitised.
He added he was not willing to take any risk even though those involved with the cluster had not stepped into his office.
“Our office is not open to the public, but we sanitised it as a precaution. We want to feel at ease and are also strictly applying the standard operating procedure on our customers, ” he said when met here.
Mohd Adam said his area has become quieter following the outbreak, but added this could be just be a coincidence as it was also the first week of Ramadan.
“I hope things will get better and that more people will continue to follow the SOP to curb the spread of Covid-19, ” he said.
On April 12, the Health Ministry announced the Jalan Canning Estate community cluster after 39 infections were confirmed.
The cluster is said to have originated from a 34-year-old Chinese national who tested positive on April 10. As at April 19, there were about 200 active Covid-19 cases in Ipoh, with 190 cases from that cluster alone.
An administrator, who only wished to be called Dev, said his father traced back all the places they visited following the outbreak.
“There was a list of premises posted on social media that were said to have been visited by those with Covid-19.
“We checked and were relieved to know that we hadn’t gone to those places, ” he said, adding that most of his family members were now working from home.
Dev said one of his relatives in Johor Baru was infected from a close contact last year.
“My cousin sent us some videos of him receiving treatment and we could see how he was suffering.
“It puzzles me as to why some people still refuse to wear facemasks, ” he said, adding that his mother has placed a hand sanitiser near the front door of their house.
“Anyone who comes here is required to clean their hands first, ” he said.
A personal assistant, who only wanted to be known as Joey, said she has temporarily stopped sending her four-year-old daughter to pre-school.
“With so many cases being reported, there’s no telling if those involved in the cluster have any relations or contacts with the children from the school.
“Some classes in primary schools here were halted because some children were infected, ” she said, adding that her daughter will resume her classes once things get better.
Food seller Benny Teh, 33, who has a stall in a restaurant, said the restaurant management was making sure that everyone followed the SOP.
“There have been incidents where customers refused to wear masks and even threw a fit when asked to do so.
“They also questioned why they still need to scan the MySejahtera app at our stall even though they had already scanned earlier before entering the restaurant.
“However, the restaurant owner told them off.
“The police are also patrolling the area frequently. We just want to avoid getting fined, ” he added.