Bukit Aman still seeking extradition of three Thai suspects in GOF attack


KUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Aman is still trying to extradite three Thai nationals, the main suspects in the attack on two General Operations Force (GOF) personnel in November last year.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador said the extradition of the three will enable them to be charged in Malaysia under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.

"The Home Minister recently signed the extradition application.

"This is in line with the relations between Malaysia and Thailand through the Treaty Between the United Kingdom and Siam Respecting The Extradition of Fugitive Criminals, which was signed in Bangkok on March 4,1911.

"After the formation of the Federation of Malaya, the agreement continued as an extradition instrument between Malaysia and Thailand," he said in a statement on Saturday (March 27).

The IGP said the police were committed to ensure all matters are settled so that all suspects in the case are brought to Malaysia and the legal process could take place.

On Nov 24 last year, Sjn Baharuddin Ramli, 54, was killed while Sjn Norihan Tari, 39, was hurt after clashing with 13 smugglers some 600m from the Malaysia-Thailand border near Padang Besar, Perlis.

Police are still hunting for the three main suspects. So far 52 suspects, including four Thai nationals have been detained.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Thailand , Extradition , IGP , GOF , Padang Besar

   

Next In Nation

INTERACTIVE: Teachers a class above in difficult times
Keep masking up, Malaysia
Registration for second round of AZ jabs to start soon
Experts: Fear leads to overcrowding at PPV centres
Muhyiddin: UN must act now
Youths to be included in shaping govt policies
OIC to be asked to help protect Palestinians
The terrific art of terrarium
Manufacturing plant dedicated to... plants
Man gives ‘visit wife’ excuse

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers