PUTRAJAYA: The government has called for calm as it weighs on the next course of action after the movement control order ends on Feb 4.
Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said there have been various reactions to information alleging that the government would impose a total lockdown after Feb 4.
“This kind of news caused concern among the public and some had even resorted to panic buying.
“For now, the National Security Council special meeting has not decided on the next course of action.
“We are listening to the views of many parties who have different opinions on whether the government should do a total lockdown, ” he said on Tuesday (Jan 26).
Ismail Sabri noted that while some agree that a total lockdown would “do the trick” in bringing down the number of Covid-19 cases, some, especially those earning daily wages and doing micro businesses, are against it.
“The government was told that a total lockdown similar to what we did in March last year would risk 2.8 million people losing their jobs. Those in the B40 category will have no income after a month, ” he said.
Ismail Sabri said discussions on this issue are still ongoing.
“We will look into this in detail, weigh the pros and cons of a total lockdown. Once we have come to a decision, we will make an announcement before the Feb 4 MCO ends, ” he said.