KOTA KINABALU: The state government-linked Sabah Economic Development Corporation (Sedco) will take the lead in flood mitigation management for flood-prone Beaufort district, says Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor.
Hajiji said this would include proposed measures to deepen the Padas River there and realign its riverbanks, among other measures.
"On the part of the state government, we will take into consideration all proposals because we are not going to relent in our efforts to address the flood problem in Beaufort, ” he added.
Beaufort was one of the districts in Sabah inundated following downpours and high tides last week, but the district is known to be flood-prone, especially if heavy rains occur at the interior divisions of Tenom and Keningau as rainwater flows down the rivers towards Beaufort.
The Chief Minister said while it was unfortunate that flood has been a problem for Beaufort for quite some time causing much hardship to the people here, it was vital that the residents comply with the directives of the authorities, particularly when it comes to evacuating and moving to higher grounds.
He said this when speaking after visiting evacuees at Dewan Datuk Sri Panglima Mohd Dun Banir relief centre on Wednesday (Jan 20).
Hajiji also presented the 122 villagers at the relief centre with cash and food basket contributions, which were also extended to other flood victims in other districts.
In general, he said those at the temporary shelters state-wide are advised to always observe the standard operation procedure (SOP) set by the government to stop the Covid-19 pandemic infection chain.
"We don't want them to be victims of flooding and Covid-19 too," he said.
Hajiji also visited the Padas Bridge and Kampung Pimping Paddy cluster area in Membakut which were inundated.
According to the data from the state disaster management committee secretariat, five districts remained affected by floods, with a total of 642 evacuees still located at 10 relief centres as of 4pm today.
However, floodwaters are receding with the end of the bad weather and Kota Kinabalu has deactivated its two relief centres.
Paitan has closed its one remaining shelter earlier as residents were allowed to return home.