Floods continue to ravage several states in the country


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 24 Nov 2020

PETALING JAYA (Bernama): Floods continue to ravage several states in the country with victims being evacuated to temporary relief centres.

In Kedah's Kubang Pasu district, 62 victims from four villages were housed at a temporary relief centre (PPS) at Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Malau here, after their houses were flooded following heavy rain since Monday (Nov 23) evening.

The district’s Disaster Management Committee secretariat Lieutenant (PA) Norazian Shamsudin said the victims, comprising of 15 families, aged between three to 83, were evacuated after the water started to rise at 7.30pm.

"The four villages involved were Kampung Lahar, Kampung Paya Tok Kiong, Kampung Paya Tok Teh, and Kampung Biak and the evacuation began at 8pm and completed at 2am, ” she said in a statement here on Tuesday (Nov 24).

She said that currently, the Malaysian Civil Defence Force (APM) is collaborating with the Social Welfare Department and other agencies to collect information on flood victims.

Meanwhile, a PPS at Al-Ihsan Mosque in Kampung Changkat Setol, also in Kubang Pasu, which previously housed eight people from two families, was closed at 6pm on Monday after all victims were allowed to return home.- Bernama

In Terengganu, a second wave of floods hit several low-lying areas in the three districts following continuous heavy rain since Monday.

Terengganu Disaster Management Committee Secretariat head Lieutenant Colonel (PA) Che Adam A Rahman said that a total of 192 people from 57 families have been evacuated to four relief centres around 7.30am on Tuesday.

"The first PPS opened is at Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Chendering here, which houses 15 people from five families, followed by two PPS in Kuala Nerus, namely, SK Tok Jembal (151 people from 46 families); Alor Damat Community Hall (four people from one family) and Seberang Pintasan Civic Hall in Dungun (22 people from six families).

"Currently, evacuation of residents in Setiu district is ongoing but the details are still being updated, ” he said.

He also advised residents in the affected areas to immediately comply with the authorities' instructions to evacuate as directed.

For the record, the first wave of floods in Terengganu occurred on Wednesday (Nov 18) but only involved one district, Setiu.

Meanwhile, a check around Tok Jembal, Kuala Nerus on Monday night found that several houses in the residential area flooded, causing them to have to be evacuated to PPS.

One of the evacuees, Azman Sulong, 46, said that his house in Taman Murni Permai was flooded at about 6pm and this was his first experience of flooding as he had just moved there.

"I didn’t have time to move large electrical appliances such as washing machines and refrigerators as the water entered the house suddenly, ” he said.

Another affected resident, Zaharah Wahab, 46, said that the area often experienced flash floods whenever it was raining continuously and she had experienced such a situation a few times in the past 10 years.

Meanwhile in Johor, the state's Ruler Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar has advised people in all districts to stay alert in view of the current unpredictable weather conditions.

In a post on his Facebook page on Tuesday (Nov 24), the Johor Ruler said several areas have been hit by floods following heavy rain and a few residents have been evacuated to temporary relief shelters.

He said the Johor government, departments and agencies including the security forces must make the necessary preparations in facing the current weather and conditions of uncertainty.

"At the same time, make sure that the victims being sheltered at the relief centres are provided with adequate facilities and measures are taken to curb the spread of Covid-19.

"Similarly, residents living near low-lying areas must always be careful and take heed of advice from the authorities.- Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Covid-19: M'sia detects 4,239 new daily cases, first time below 4,500 mark since Nov 7
Cultivate unity through celebrating diversity, says Hajiji
Door still open to renegotiate earlier date for GE15, says Zahid
Communication Ministry to discuss with Sarawak on use of govt's official channels for state election campaign
Johor top cop also not spared scam calls
Cops detain nine for drink driving during weekend ops in Kuala Lumpur
Naked man obstructing traffic in Puchong sent for mental health evaluation
SMEs advised to register with SSM to enjoy benefits provided by government
Bomb squad, K9 unit deployed after suspicious package found in Bangsar
Suspect who snatched victim's handbag after vehicle collision arrested after reporting accident

Others Also Read


Vouchers