PUTRAJAYA: The National Security Council (NSC) is expected to hear the latest proposals on standard operating procedure (SOP) for recovery and conditional movement control order (MCO) in a special meeting this Saturday (Nov 7), says Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
The Senior Minister (Security) said the proposals were presented at the council’s technical meeting on Thursday (Nov 5) morning but the special meeting, which decides on the go-ahead, has yet to look at it.
"We have not given the approval for the new SOP. The special meeting will have to look at it first and decide. Perhaps this will be looked into during the special meeting on Saturday,” he said on Thursday (Nov 5).
Ismail Sabri said the government had also received proposals from the International Trade and Industry Ministry on SOP for the economic sector.
“We have received different proposals, some want the SOP to be tightened while some want it to be relaxed. All this will be looked into and will be decided,” he said.
Proposals for the new SOP come after the Prime Minister expressed his concerns on the Covid-19 situation in the country, and said that the government plans to re-evaluate the SOP for a speedier and more effective intervention.
Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin had said that action taken previously by the government had been able to control the spread of the virus, but looking at the situation now, a mitigated approach that is quicker was needed.
On Tuesday (Nov 3), Ismail Sabri said new SOP is being firmed up not just for areas under conditional MCO but also recovery MCO as the government looks for more effective intervention due to the pandemic.
Did you find this article insightful?
60% readers found this article insightful