MMEA arrests 60 Chinese nationals, seizes six vessels off Johor


KOTA TINGGI: The Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) has detained six illegal Chinese fishing vessels in waters east of Johor and hauled up the 60 people who were on board.

Tanjung Sedili zone director Capt Mohd Zulfadli Nayan said the vessels from Qinhuangdao, China were spotted at two separate locations during the MMEA’s Op Jaksa/Op Benteng operations at around 9am on Friday (Oct 9).

“We had earlier received a tip-off from the Johor Port Authority about the trespassing vessels. Our patrolling squad then found the vessels near 2.1 nautical miles and 2.3 nautical miles and three of them were found hovering near one another, ” he said.

He added that altogether, the vessels were carrying six captains and 54 crewmen who are all China nationals aged between 31 and 60.

Zulfadli said that all 60 were arrested after failing to produce permits from the authorities to conduct activities as well as to anchor in Malaysian waters, adding that the vessels were also detained at the Tanjung Sedili MMEA for investigations.

“Foreign fishing vessel managers and agents are advised to obtain the valid permits from the Fisheries Department before conducting any activities in our waters, including repairs and petrol transferring, ” he said.

The case is being investigated under Section 16 (3) of the Fisheries Act 1985 for failing to report to the department for entering into state waters, which carries a fine of not more than RM6mil each and RM600,000 for each crew member on board.

Zulfadli added that the case was also being investigated under Section 491B(1)(l) of the Merchant Shipping Ordinance 1952 for illegal anchoring, which carries a fine of up to RM100,000 or jail, or both, upon conviction.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

89% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Covid-19: About 360 Top Glove employees taken by bus for treatment at hospitals after testing positive
Covid-19: Selangor Zakat Board confirms employee tested positive
GrabFood rider determined to do his job despite being involved in harrowing accident
Eateries, convenience stores in Sabah must still operate until 10pm for now, says Masidi
Local man, foreign woman arrested for allegedly dumping dead baby near mosque
Covid-19: M'sian virologist joins international commission probing coronavirus origins
Covid-19: Four new clusters identified, three come to an end, says Health DG
Cops hunting down snatch thieves following viral video
Six SMK Kuala Besut students win international award for short video
Covid-19: More than 1k cases linked to Teratai cluster, closure of factories will enable thorough screening, says Health DG

Stories You'll Enjoy