Kedah health committee chairman Datuk Dr Mohd Hayati Othman said more than 400 people had taken the tests over the past two days.
“The Health Ministry has ordered the prison to disallow visitation for the time being.
“During the state exco meeting, it was decided that the prison management must adhere strictly to the standard operating procedure (SOP) as advised by the Health Ministry,” he said.
A new Covid-19 cluster known as Tembok Cluster has emerged in Kota Setar district after a 46-year-old prison staff contracted the virus.
He was first rushed to Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah after coming down with breathing difficulties on Sept 21.
His condition deteriorated and was pronounced dead on Sept 28. Subsequent Covid-19 screening found him to be positive.
Asked if there was a need to implement the enhanced movement control order (MCO), Dr Hayati said the situation outside of Kota Setar district was not that serious.
He, however, reminded Kedahans to remain cautious, wear face masks properly and adhere to physical distancing in public places to curb the virus outbreak.
On Kedah exco member Azman Nasrudin who tested positive for the disease, Dr Hayati said Azman and his family were now being treated at the Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital.
He said Sungai Tiang assemblymen Datuk Suraya Yaakob, Sidam assemblyman Dr Robert Ling Kui Ee and Kedah State Legislative Assembly Speaker Juhari Bulat were undergoing self-quarantine at home.
When contacted, Juhari confirmed Azman had contracted the virus from his personal assistant during the Sabah state election campaign period.
Juhari said he attended a programme in Langkawi and had been asked to self quarantine at home.
Did you find this article insightful?
86% readers found this article insightful