Petaling Jaya: Two hundred and sixty-eight investigation papers have been opened in connection with spreading of fake news since the start of the movement control order (MCO), says Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
“From the total amount, 131 cases are still being investigated, 35 had been prosecuted, 12 issued a warning notice, 16 were undergoing trial and 19 pleaded guilty.” said the Senior Minister (Security) in a statement on Saturday (Sept 19).
Ismail Sabri added that relevant authorities have issued 370 denials and explanations on fake news since the start of the MCO.
“Police and MCMC (Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Commission) will continue to closely monitor the spread of fake news and will take action on anyone found guilty of this, ” he said.
On task force monitoring SOP compliance, the Defence Minister said police have arrested 93 individuals for MCO violations on Sept 18.
“Out of the total arrested, 85 individuals were compounded and eight remanded, ” he said.
Among the offences were not wearing face masks in crowded public places (33), not social distancing (32), pub and nightclub activities (14), operating premises with no license (seven), failing to provide equipment to records personal details (six) and not having approval letter to enter enhanced MCO areas (one).
On Ops Benteng, Ismail Sabri said that 65 undocumented migrants were arrested, together with three tekongs, one human trafficker and 14 vehicles.
He also said police conducted 82 roadblocks nationwide under Ops Benteng.
“The government will take stern action against anyone attempting to enter the country’s borders illegally and enforcement agencies will continue tightening border control, ” he asserted.
On mandatory quarantine, as many as 30,717 individuals had returned to the country and were quarantined at designated centres since July 24, he said.
"To date, 20,893 individuals who have returned from 32 countries have been allowed to go home after completing the quarantine process with 9,753 still currently undergoing quarantine and 71 sent to hospital for treatment," he said.
The minister also said that since March 30, the Housing and Local Government Ministry has supervised 10,001 sanitisation exercises in 135 zones.
“On Sept 18,13 sanitisation exercises were carried out to one red zone and nine green zones in six states, ” he added.
A total of 13,017 premises have been sanitised, including business centres, government buildings, housing areas, public places and supermarkets, he said.
Also, checks by the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry enforcement teams showed that essential goods were sufficient nationwide and easily available, said Ismail Sabri.
“The government urges shop owners and the public to always practice good personal hygiene and practice physical distancing when conducting business and while shopping for daily goods, ” he added.