Carbon monoxide poisoning: Third victim dies


BUTTERWORTH (Bernama): Another woman has died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning - bringing the death toll to three - after four friends, all aged 21, fell asleep in their car at the parking lot of a petrol station in Sama Gagah here Wednesday (Sept 16).

Seberang Perai Tengah OCPD Asst Comm Shafee Abd Samad said Nor Adilah Mohd Safwan, 21, died while receiving treatment in the intensive care unit of Hospital Angkatan Tentera Lumut in Perak here at 4.23pm Thursday (Sept 17).

Two other women, Sharifah Fariesha Syed Fathi and Ayuni Shazwanie Shabri, died in the Wednesday incident while Nor Adilah and her twin Nor Aqilah were taken to hospital in critical condition.

"Nor Adilah was earlier taken to the Seberang Jaya Hospital after being found in the car before being transferred to Hospital Angkatan Tentera Lumut. Her twin sister, Nor Aqilah, meanwhile, was transferred to Hospital Angkatan Tentera Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin in Kuala Lumpur for further treatment.

"The twins were transferred to the two hospitals because these hospitals have machines to treat carbon monoxide poisoning victims. However, we were informed that Nor Adilah died this evening, ” Shafee said Thursday.

He said that Nor Aqilah, who is undergoing treatment in the ICU of Hospital Angkatan Tentera Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin, is being closely monitored by the medical team.

Initial investigations showed that the four women had gone to Pulau Jerejak, near here, for the Malaysia Day holiday Wednesday, and it was understood that they were on their way home to Sungai Petani and Gurun in Kedah when they decided to take a break but are believed to have instead fallen asleep.

Meanwhile, Shafee said checks carried out by a technician on the car used by the four women found that there could have been a leakage in the vehicle's exhaust.

"This is because during the inspection by the technician, the exhaust produced a very loud noise and emitted smoke. Due to the leak, smoke entered the car and the four suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, ” he said. - Bernama

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

85% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Maria Chin apologises to Pakatan supporters for not rejecting Budget 2021 at policy stage
Tongkang Pecah in Batu Pahat put under CMCO
Anwar may have wanted to avoid King's anger in directing Pakatan MPs to back Budget 2021 at policy stage, says Kadir Jasin
Court sets aside fine, jail sentence against former DBKL executive director for power abuse
Bullets in the mail: Cops nab three, looking for one more over threat to Customs officer
PM: Covid-19 vaccines for 6.4 million Malaysians as early as January next year
Man arrested for allegedly raping eight-year-old after enticing her with candy
Colleagues of Gemilang cluster index patient in JB screened for Covid-19
Gerakan lodges MACC report over Penang’s funding for comics museum
Three lose a total of RM40k after being duped by separate loan scams

Stories You'll Enjoy