M'sians urged to participate in population census online by Sept 30


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 15 Sep 2020

Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob

PETALING JAYA: Malaysians are being given two weeks to participate in the Statistic Department's population and housing census online to avoid face-to-face meetings with census takers.

Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said although the e-census had been made available since July 7, only 1.5 million Malaysians had participated.

"This figure is way below the target, as Malaysia's population is about 32.7 million," he told a press conference on Tuesday (Sept 15).

Census takers will start knocking on doors from Oct 7 to Oct 24.

"To avoid face-to-face meeting with them (census takers), people have up to Sept 30 to fill up (their particulars) online (www.mycensus.gov.my)," he said.

In view of the Covid-19 pandemic, he urged the public to participate via e-Census before the Sept 30 deadline.

"I appeal to the members of the public to opt for e-census to reduce face-to-face interactions," he said.

Ismail also advised the public against serving food and drinks to census-takers in view of Covid-19 pandemic.

"Malaysians are known for their hospitality. We are used to serving food and drinks to visitors.

"But please, refrain from doing so to the census takers.

"The government has imposed stringent SOP (standard operating procedure) for census operations at private homes and institutional residences," he said.

Face-to-face interviews are prohibited in locations that have been locked down.

Earlier, Ismail said the police-led compliance taskforce had carried out 56,038 checks, including on 3,607 supermarkets, 4,798 restaurants, 1,271 hawkers, 1,308 markets, 3,384 places of worship and 2,361 recreation areas.

He said 132 people were nabbed for breaching recovery movement control order (MCO).

Of those nabbed, 14 were remanded while 118 others were issued compound notices. The offences they committed included failure to observe social distancing (49) and failure to fill in the customer logbook (12).

Action was also taken against two individuals for not footing bills for mandatory quarantine.

Twelve people were nabbed for attending a private party, and 27 others were nabbed for not wearing face masks. Private parties and clubbing were still barred, said Ismail.

Action was also taken against 30 individuals who defied the lockdown order.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

71% readers found this article insightful

Across the site