Haj postponed for Malaysians, says Zulkifli


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 11 Jun 2020

PUTRAJAYA (Bernama): Malaysia will not send pilgrims for the haj season this year, says Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Dr Zulkifli Mohamad Al-Bakri.

He said the decision on the matter was made after receiving the consent of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah.

"Based on the briefings by the Ministry of Health Malaysia, Lembaga Tabung Haji and the Special Muzakarah Committee Meeting of the National Council for Islamic Religious Affairs, held on June 9, the haj pilgrimage for the 1441H haj season has been postponed.

"This had been a difficult decision as we know performing the haj is of great importance to Muslims, ” he told a press conference here Thursday (June 11).

Zulkifli said the syarak has stated that doing things that can cause damage or harm must first be avoided before doing good deeds provided that the maslahah (benefit) derived is far less than the damage that is likely to occur.

Zulkifli said so far, there is no vaccine yet available to prevent the spread of Covid-19 that has claimed many lives worldwide.

"Performing the haj pilgrimage, which is the fifth pillar of Islam, is closely linked to the concept of istito’ah or the capability of performing the pilgrimage in terms of health, safety, permission to travel to the Holy Land as well as finance.

"Without the capability in the matters mentioned, it is not obligatory to perform the pilgrimage," he said.

Zulkifli said he had also submitted an official letter about the suspension to Saudi ambassador to Malaysia Datuk Dr Mahmoud Hussien Saeed Qattan which would be presented to Saudi Arabia Minister of Haj and Umrah, Dr Muhammad Saleh Taher Banten.

He also expressed his appreciation to the Saudi Arabia government that has been working hard to curb the spread of Covid-19 in the Holy Land of Makkah and Madinah.

On whether Malaysia will see an increase in its haj quota next year, he said the matter would depend on the decision by the Saudi Arabia government.

"InsyaAllah, we will visit Saudi Arabia after the Covid-19 situation subsides to discuss the matter,” he added.

Zulkifli said all Malaysian pilgrims with Furada visa (a haj visa that is obtained by dealing directly with the Saudi Arabia Embassy) are also not allowed to perform the pilgrimage this year.

Asked on whether the postponement would affect the turn of those selected to perform the haj this season, he said this year's pilgrims will be given priority next year.

For this year’s successful haj appeal applicants, they must re-appeal for next year, he added.

Malaysia is among the countries that have suspended the haj pilgrimage besides Indonesia, Singapore, Cambodia, Thailand and Brunei. - Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Was Azmin's ‘BMW and Kancil’ concept stolen from Barisan? asks S'gor BN info chief
Cops cripple diesel smuggling syndicate in Masai
Woman allegedly stabbed by 14-year-old son, seriously injured
Teen dies in motorcycle crash in Kulai
PM celebrates Aidilfitri with Keluarga Malaysia in Tokyo
Wushu coach to be charged with sexual harassment on May 26
Prosecution seeks revision of Long Tiger's discharge in extortion case
Flash floods hit several areas in Bidor, residents caught unprepared
E-hailing companies can have licences revoked for overcharging passengers, says Dr Wee
RM13mil contribution for mosque, tahfiz school not bribe, says Zahid

Others Also Read