Semenyih immigration detention centre under probe after two detainees test positive for Covid-19


  • Nation
  • Friday, 22 May 2020

PUTRAJAYA: The Semenyih immigration detention centre is now under Covid-19 investigation after two detainees tested positive for the virus.

This follows the Health Ministry's announcement on Thursday (May 21) that a new Covid-19 cluster had been detected at the Bukit Jalil immigration depot.

Senior Minister for Security Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said a total of 60 detainees have been found to be Covid-19 positive at both the depots.

He said the Health Ministry has conducted swab tests on a total of 1,200 undocumented migrants at the Bukit Jalil depot and 1,600 at Semenyih.

"Those who are positive have been sent to the ministry's temporary hospital at the Malaysia Agro Exposition Park Serdang (MAEPS)," said Ismail Sabri at the National Security Council (MKN) daily press conference here Friday (May 22).

Ismail Sabri said the virus may have easily spread because the detainees are put up in dormitories and not in individual rooms.

"The public should not be worried about this situation, because the depot itself is like a quarantine centre. The detainees cannot go out so the virus will not spread to the public. Those who are positive, they will be isolated and treated," he said.

He added that 114 workers, including Immigration Department officers as well as food caterers have been tested and are all Covid-19 negative.

An officer of the Bukit Jalil depot told The Star that he has been asked to be quarantined at home after being declared negative.

"I am undergoing quarantine in my own room and have isolated myself from my wife and children," he said.

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

89% readers found this article insightful

Across The Star Online