Govt efforts to bring Malaysians abroad home ongoing


PUTRAJAYA: Efforts to bring home Malaysians stranded abroad are still ongoing as more arrived safely home from Saudi Arabia and Egypt.

Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the government, through its foreign missions, was monitoring closely the situation in other countries, including India, Sri Lanka, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Turkey.

“A total of 80 Malaysians have returned from Saudi Arabia through cooperation with the Saudi Arabian government while another 285 have safely arrived home from Egypt.

“We expect 81 Malaysians stranded in India and Sri Lanka to arrive on Tuesday,” he told reporters yesterday.

A total of 355 Malaysians in Algeria and Tunisia would also be flown back to Malaysia with the cost covered by the Japan Oil Corporation, he added.

Ismail Sabri also said that as of April 9, 156 quarantine centres were in operation with 11,445 individuals undergoing compulsory quarantine.

“On Friday, 386 Malaysians returned to the country and are under compulsory quarantine,” he said.

Ismail Sabri, who is also the Defence Minister, said since March 30, the public sanitisation operation, dubbed “Nyah Cemar”, was conducted in 85 zones – 24 red zones and 61 yellow zones.

“A total of 1,291 operations were conducted nationwide. The operations were conducted with the Health Ministry’s supervision and based on the guidelines of the World Health Organisation (WHO).

“The operation prioritised the locality of the cases based on the latest number of Covid-19 cases,” he said.

Among the areas sanitised were 884 government buildings, 565 public areas and 107 supermarkets, he added.

“On Friday, three public housing projects (PPR) underwent public sanitisation. So far, a total of 37 PPRs have undergone the process, involving 36,870 housing units,” said Ismail Sabri.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

abroad , foreign missions , Ismail Sabri , covid-19

   

Next In Nation

Motorcyclist with severe burns dies three days after collision with another
Covid-19: Eight new clusters, five linked to education sector
PM: Government is sincere and serious in tackling Covid-19
Covid-19: It’s up to Education Ministry to decide on school closure, says Ismail Sabri
Two secret society leaders nabbed, 20 henchmen rounded up in Selangor
Lahad Datu MCO, EMCO in three Sabah and Sarawak areas extended from April 25-May 8
Covid-19: Eight fatalities bring death toll to 1,415
Assault of bodyguards for fasting: Businessman faces more charges, pleads not guilty
Aidilfitri bazaars allowed to open until 2am from Saturday (April 24)
Ismail Sabri: 159 nabbed for violating SOP on Thursday (April 22)

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers