PETALING JAYA: The number of offenders defying the movement control order (MCO) is decreasing, says Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob (pic).
Ismail, who is also Defence Minister, said there was an 11% decrease in arrests on Saturday (April 4) compared to Friday (April 3).
“The police arrested 368 individuals during the patrols and roadblocks (on Saturday) ... a decrease (in numbers) compared to Friday, where there were 413 arrests. This is a decrease of 11%,” said Ismail during a press conference on Sunday (April 5).
He said that the downward trend of arrests shows that Malaysians are obeying the MCO.
He added that the army was also assisting the police by deploying drones to monitor movements in certain areas like markets.
Ismail said that there were some arrested who were charged under the Penal Code, which brought a harsher penalty.
“Some not only disobeyed the MCO, but also prevented public officials from carrying out their duties,” he said.
Ismail reminded Malaysians to give full cooperation to authorities during the MCO.
“I urge Malaysians to cooperate with the police as they are doing their job to protect the health and lives of Malaysians,” he added.
Ismail also said that disinfection exercises were conducted in 83 locations in 11 states on Saturday while the government has gazetted 551 quarantine centres so far.
He also added that all activities related to agriculture are allowed during MCO period.
Did you find this article insightful?
83% readers found this article insightful