First Malaysian Covid-19 patient discharged


  • Nation
  • Monday, 17 Feb 2020

PUTRAJAYA: The first confirmed Malaysian Covid-19 coronavirus patient has recovered from the disease and has been discharged.

The 41-year-old from Selangor tested positive for the virus on Feb 3 and had been treated at the Sungai Buloh Hospital where he was warded at an isolation ward.

Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad said this means that in Malaysia, a total of nine Covid-19 patients have recovered and were discharged.

“They underwent repeated Covid-19 tests, and found to be negative on two consecutive repeated tests, ” said Dr Dzulkefly in a statement here.

The Selangor man had no recent travel history to China. However, he had travelled to Singapore on a business trip from Jan 16 to Jan 23.

During the trip, he attended meetings which also involved delegates who came from Wuhan in China, the epicentre of the virus outbreak.

On Jan 29, the man went to a private clinic in Selangor where he sought treatment for fever and cough.

He was then referred to the Sungai Buloh Hospital on Feb 2, and the following day, he tested positive for Covid-19.

Meanwhile, the man’s 40-year-old sister and 65-year-old mother-in-law, who contracted the virus from him over the Chinese New Year celebrations, are in a stable condition.

The sister is currently in isolation at Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah in Kedah while the mother-in-law is treated at the Sungai Buloh Hospital.

Dr Dzulkefly also said there are no new Covid-19 cases in Malaysia, keeping the tally at 22 cases, with 13 still receiving treatment in hospitals.

Earlier Monday, Dr Dzulkefly had a 15-minute telephone call with Cambodian Health Minister Mam Bunheng on the status of the American woman who tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Malaysia from Cambodia.

“I informed His Excellency regarding the improving health status of the US national patient. I have also informed that the patient underwent Covid-19 tests, and she was still found to be positive.

“We hope the health of the patient will continue to improve.

“Our ministry will work closely with all countries involved and with the World Health Organisation in the management of Covid-19 infection as well as coordinating information in implementing close contact tracing activities, ” he said.

The 83-year-old American woman was a passenger of MS Westerdam, a cruise ship which had docked at Sihanoukville in Cambodia.

She arrived at the KL International Airport on a Malaysian Airlines flight, which was chartered by the cruise ship company to bring several of its passengers from Cambodia to various destinations.

Upon arrival, the woman and her husband were found to be symptomatic and were then referred to the Sungai Buloh Hospital.

Her 85-year-old husband tested negative but remains in isolation at the hospital to be monitored.

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online