KUALA LUMPUR: One of the Bangladeshi workers rescued from the collapsed part of a high-rise apartment that was still under construction in Taman Desa has been discharged from hospital, says Comm Datuk Seri Mazlan Lazim.
The Kuala Lumpur police chief said another construction worker is still being treated at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital.
"There were no lives lost during the incident on Friday (Feb 14).
"The real cause of the collapsed structure is still being investigated by the relevant authorities," he said in a statement on Saturday (Feb 15).
Comm Mazlan also urged the public to stop spreading unverified news regarding the incident.
"Those with information can contact the KL Police hotline at 03-21159999 or the nearest police station," he added.
Initial investigations revealed that the collapse occurred in some parts of a swimming pool, which was under construction, on the sixth floor of the building.
"During the 3.30pm incident on Friday, 159 workers were on site, including two Bangladeshi workers, who were trapped underneath the rubble. Both of them were successfully rescued," he said.
According to a statement by the Kuala Lumpur Fire and Rescue Department, teams from the Seputeh, Pantai and Hang Tuah fire stations were deployed following the construction mishap, with a total of around 50 firefighters and officers.
"The building collapse started on the sixth floor, and the rubble is being supported on the first floor," the statement said.
Housing and Local Government Minister Zuraida Kamaruddin visited the scene the same night.
KL mayor Datuk Nor Hisham Ahmad Dahlan has confirmed that a stop-work order had been issued, effective immediately.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!