Patient who disappeared from Sg Buloh Hospital not infected by coronavirus


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 01 Feb 2020

The ultrastructural morphology exhibited by the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), which was identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China, is seen in an illustration released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, Georgia, U.S. January 29, 2020. Alissa Eckert, MS; Dan Higgins, MAM/CDC/Handout via REUTERS

PETALING JAYA: The Health Ministry has confirmed that the patient who disappeared while being tested for the novel coronavirus was not infected by the virus.

The patient, who reportedly went home on Friday after waiting at the Sungai Buloh Hospital, had been admitted previously after he fell ill following a trip to Wuhan, China.

"After a police report was made, the patient was successfully located and returned to the ward.

"Clinical samples taken on Jan 31 came back negative for the 2019-nCoV," said Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah in a statement on Saturday (Feb 1).

The patient was reportedly missing for an hour before police successfully contacted him. He then returned to the hospital.

On the latest figures, he said that there had been no additional cases of patients testing positive for the virus.

"As of Feb 1, 12pm, there had been no additions to the positive cases. The cumulative cases of those positive for the 2019-nCoV remain at eight – three within patients under investigations (PUI) and five within close contacts," he said, adding that lab results of six more patients were still pending.

Article type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online