PUTRAJAYA (Bernama): The formation of the Malaysian Media Council (MMC) received a major boost Thursday (Jan 16) with the appointment of 17 representatives from the print, electronic and online media, local and foreign media, journalist associations, and non-governmental organisations as members of its pro-tem committee.
Communications and Multimedia Minister Gobind Singh Deo announced the appointments at a meeting on the MMC that he chaired at the ministry here Thursday.
Malaysiakini chief executive officer Premesh Chandran has been appointed the pro-tem committee chairman.
"The pro-tem committee was formed following the decision of the Cabinet on Dec 6, which agreed with the proposal to set up the media council as a self-regulatory body, ” he said at a press conference after the meeting.
Gobind said the appointment of the 17 members was the first step taken in line with a promise in Pakatan Harapan’s GE14 manifesto to form a media council comprising leading members of the media fraternity.
"The decision is a major step as now efforts to set up the MMC have started moving after being postponed for so long. I understand that the idea for the council was first brought up and discussed 45 years ago, ” he said.
Gobind also said the Prime Minister’s communications and media adviser Datuk A. Kadir Jasin has been appointed MMC adviser as well.
Bernama chief editor Datuk Mokthar Hussain has also been appointed to the pro-tem committee.
The other members of the MMC pro-tem committee are:
- Datuk Dr Chamil Wariya (Malaysian Press Institute (MPI) CEO)
- Datuk Yong Soo Heong (MPI trustee)
- Ding Jo Ann (Centre For Independent Journalism media monitor)
- Datuk Ahiruddin Attan (National Press Club president)
- V. Gayathry (Nottingham University lecturer)
- Kuik Cheng Kang (Editor’s Association of Chinese Medium Malaysia representative)
- Tehmina Kaoosji (Journalists Alliance founder)
- Radzi Razak (Gerakan Media Merdeka spokesman)
- Ashwad Ismail (Astro Awani)
- Rozaid A. Rahman (The Star)
- Jahabar Sadiq (The Malaysian Insight)
- Sabah representative
- Sarawak representative
- National Union of Journalists representative
- Foreign Correspondents Club Malaysia representative
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!