PEKAN NANAS: Former premier Datuk Seri Najib Razak says he will continue campaigning in the Tanjung Piai by-election despite the sudden withdrawal of his police motorcycle outriders.
According to the Pekan MP, the withdrawal of police escorts came as a surprise to him.
“I didn’t know. Suddenly a letter came and no reason was given.
"Many people assumed that this was done for certain purposes. But I will continue my efforts in ensuring victory for Barisan, ” Najib told reporters when met during a walkabout at Econsave in Pekan Nanas on Saturday (Nov 9).
Najib also said that the withdrawal would not hamper his campaign for Barisan candidate Datuk Seri Dr Wee Jeck Seng.
“I will continue my duty as usual. Insyallah, there will be no problems, ” he said briefly.
Najib’s walkabout at Econsave Pekan Nanas was well-received by locals, as hundreds turned up in excitement, eager to take selfies with the former premier.
Many were heard chanting his trademark slogan “Malu Apa, bossku”.
His walkabouts in shopping malls had previously drawn large crowds during the Semenyih and Sandakan by-elections.
On Friday (Nov 8), Bukit Aman’s Traffic Enforcement and Investigation Department director Deputy Comm Datuk Azisman Alias was quoted by news portal Malaysiakini as saying there would be no more police outriders for Najib with immediate effect.
Azisman said the order was sent through a letter to Najib.
The letter was sent to Najib’s special officer Mohd Shahrir Mohd Aripin and was made public on Facebook by his former officer Isham Jalil.
Azisman said Najib would still be able to request for outriders only for official businesses and not for personal or political purposes.
Did you find this article insightful?