MCMC terminates firm linked to massive data leak


THE company linked to the massive data leak of telco users in the country has had its contract terminated by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).

The Communications and Multimedia Ministry, in a parliamentary written reply, said MCMC terminated the appointment of Nuemera (M) Sdn Bhd in 2018 following investigations, which found it had breached basic provisions of the contract agreement.

“On May 21 last year, MCMC issued a notice to Nuemera based on the Commission’s decision not to renew the Public Cellular Blocking Service (PCBS) agreement for another five years as per the option within the contract agreement,” said the ministry in reply to a question from Fahmi Fadzil (PH-Lembah Pantai).

Fahmi had asked how it was possible that Nuemera – which was contracted to manage MCMC’s PCBS – could fail to protect the personal data of 46.2 million mobile phone accounts leading to the leak and actions that have been taken against the company.

The PCBS, launched in February 2014, was an initiative by the MCMC to provide a service that allowed stolen phones to be blocked from making calls, texting or accessing the Internet – even if the subscriber identification module (SIM) card was changed.

“Investigation papers have been completed and submitted to the Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC) for further action,” said the ministry.

On Oct 19,2017, news portal Lowyat.net reported the breach involving 46 million mobile phone numbers after receiving a tip-off that someone was attempting to

sell a huge database of Malaysians’ personal details for an undisclosed amount of the digital currency Bitcoin.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

MCMC , telco

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Sabah sees MCO restrictions relaxed in several sectors despite conditional MCO extension
Don't retaliate, Ahmad Faizal tells Bersatu
Cops nab trio for threatening waiter with fake pistol
Perak PAS will wait for instruction from central committee on formation of state govt, says Razman
Zahid, other Umno leaders arrive at party HQ in Perak for special meeting
Violating MCO: Cops break up private party, haul up 31 youths
Tourism players, hoteliers in Sabah welcome removal of inter-state travel restrictions
Covid 19: Four new clusters detected in Sabah, Selangor and Kuala Lumpur
Ahmad Faizal Azumu resigns as Perak MB (updated)
Covid-19: 1,123 new cases, death toll now at 380 with four new fatalities

Stories You'll Enjoy