PETALING JAYA: Questions over the controversial undersea tunnel project in Penang continue to be raised by MCA president Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong.
He asked the state government to explain why no action was taken against the company tasked with building the tunnel despite it being "years late" in delivery.
Consortium Zenith Construction Sdn Bhd is the main contractor of the RM6.34bil project, which includes three toll-free roads estimated at RM1.07bil.
"Why are there no fines or contracts (being) cancelled by the Penang government although the project is years late?
"And also, does the actual cost of the tunnel for the people really exceed RM20bil as I calculated last year?" Dr Wee asked in a Facebook post on Wednesday (Aug 28).
The state government is paying for the mega project via a land swap of 110 acres of reclaimed land in Tanjung Pinang, as well as through a toll concession for the tunnel for no less less than 30 years.
The exchanged land has been valued at RM1,300 per sq ft based on net developed area.
This was the value that the MCA president had earlier placed on the land.
He also questioned why the Attorney General's Chamber had not taken any action following the six investigation papers on the project submitted by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
"I have explained that the value of the land along the Gurney Drive beach is among the most expensive in Penang, and this value is appreciating.
"This means that every time the undersea tunnel project is delayed, the concessionaire will benefit while the actual cost of the project to Penangites is rising and will become more expensive compared to the RM6.3bil," he said.
He added that Penang Deputy Chief Minister Dr P. Ramasamy had previously said the land was only worth RM475 per sq ft instead of RM1,300.
He said it had been that reported that Maybank was assisting the concessionaire to sell part of the land as payment for the undersea tunnel project at RM2.83bil or RM1,300 per sq ft.