IPOH: Perak executive council member Paul Yong Choo Kiong has been advised to go on leave until the conclusion of his rape case.
In a statement issued on Thursday night (Aug 22), Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Faizal Azumu said it was best that Yong take leave from his official duties.
“In respect of the legal process, I advise Yong to take leave from his official duties, and not take any part in any meetings that involves decision-making until the case is over.
“His performance as the Tronoh assemblyman and state executive council member was satisfactory, and he has always given good cooperation to all and performed his responsibilities, ” Ahmad Faizal added.
“However, the state respects the legal process according to the rule of law.
“At the same time, we also respect the principle that a person is innocent until proven guilty, ” he said.
Yong will be charged under Section 376 of the Penal Code for rape at the Sessions Court here on Friday (Aug 23).
It was reported that a 23-year-old Indonesian maid alleged that Yong raped her at his house in Meru last month.
Ahmad Faizal said he was shocked over what has transpired and hoped Yong’s family, especially his wife and children, would have patience as the legal process takes its course.
“I urged all of Yong’s supporters to remain calm and respect the legal process by not doing anything that can complicate matters.
“I also urge the public to respect the legal process by not making any speculation on social media, ” he said.
“As responsible citizens, we should have faith in our judiciary to uphold justice and the truth.
“I hope justice will prevail for those involved in this case, ” he added.
Ahmad Faizal said Yong’s case would not affect the state's administration.
He added that there was no need for any drastic reshuffle of the exco line-up, as all were capable of handling their responsibilities of administrating the state together.
Did you find this article insightful?