Dr M: Govt still waiting for Lynas proposal on disposal of waste


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 01 Aug 2019

    

PUTRAJAYA: The government is still waiting for Lynas Corp to present its proposal on how it plans to deal with the rare earth processing waste, says Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.

"We are waiting for them to tell us how they are going to do that, whether they find a place and whether they can dispose of the waste or not, " he said to reporters on Thursday (Aug 1).

According to a news report which cited an unamed government official, the Cabinet discussed the viability of Lynas building a permanent disposal facility in the country and would be announcing its decision next month ahead of the rare earth firm's licence expiry date.

However, Bentong MP Wong Tack said he doubted the veracity of the news report which claimed the government was likely to drop its requirement for Lynas Corp to remove its rare earth processing waste from Malaysia.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 0
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Asst cook remanded over employer's death
Wisma Putra: No report of Malaysians affected in Turkiye earthquake so far
Police inspector killed in road accident in Tumpat
Nine months' free Internet for 1,488 B40 folk under Jendela@PPR scheme
Dilapidated railway station in Sabah turns to ‘dust’
Kuantan woman says lost RM53,875 to online job scam
Each emergency dept faces own challenges that can lead to delays, says Health Minister
Homemade pistol and air rifles seized in Dungun police raids
Umno polls ongoing, no need to urge any leader to step down, says party veep
Man awakened by loud blast saves family from burning house in Sepanggar

Others Also Read