No more reprieve for illegal immigrants in Sabah


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 13 Jul 2019

PETALING JAYA: There will be no extension to the recently concluded regularisation exercise for undocumented Indonesian and Filipino workers and dependents in Sabah.

Sabah Immigration Department director Datuk Musa Sulaiman (pic) said nothing could be done for those who missed the June 30 deadline.

“They are now subject to Immi­gration action,” he said when contacted in Kota Kinabalu.

More than 120,000 undocumented Filipino and Indonesian workers in Sabah were registered during the three-month programme, which began in April.

The bulk of the 123,575 workers and dependents registered were Indonesians at 95,226, with Filipinos accounting for 28,349.

The regularisation programme was for employers to legalise their Indonesian and Filipino workers in the plantation and agriculture sectors and dependents, provided their embassies issue them with passports and birth certificates.

“The statistics show that the programme was a success,” Musa said.

He said the next step would be for the employers concerned to submit the passports of their foreign workers and dependents to the department for screening by Sept 30.

Once the employers paid all the necessary fees, he said the foreign workers would be issued with temporary work passes, with dependents getting social visit passes.

Philippine Ambassador to Malay­sia Charles C. Jose, in an interview with The Star last week, said the embassy sent a special team to visit plantations with the highest number of Filipino workers to issue them passports and papers so that they could be registered under the programme.

Estimating between 400,000 and 500,000 illegal Filipino workers in Sabah, the envoy said some 14,249 Filipinos had been assisted so far.

Jose also said that the embassy received pleas from plantation owners asking their Filipino workers to be issued with passports.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Road closure around Brickfields, say cops
School authorities investigating reasons behind increase in mercury spill cases in Sabah
A hive of activity at Istana Negara ahead of meeting between PM and the King
Johor cops detect video of boy who sat on 16th floor window ledge at Larkin condo
Govt given two more months to settle suit by retired judges
A-G’s report: Covid-19 fund set up by govt to fund stimulus package, economic recovery
A-G’s report: 182% subsidy hike in 2021 from 2020, highest for petroleum products
Selangor logs highest dengue cases in 39th epidemiological week
Practise strict fiscal discipline to increase revenue, govt told
CJ Tengku Maimun echoes Sultan Perak’s call for judges not to be pressured

Others Also Read