KUALA LUMPUR: Another death related to the measles outbreak among the Orang Asli has been reported, making it the fourth death confirmed by the Health Ministry.
Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad (pic) said the deceased was a 39-year-old Orang Asli woman who had been treated in the isolation ward at Hospital Hulu Terengganu since June 29.
He said the victim was confirmed to be infected with measles following a laboratory test.
However, on July 7, her condition became unstable and she suffered from breathing difficulties, he added.
"She was diagnosed with septicaemic shock secondary to right lobar pneumonia and measles with metabolic acidosis," he said in a press conference Tuesday (July 9) after launching the HKL Simulation and Skills Training Centre.
Dr Dzulkefly said the victim was then referred to Hospital Sultanah Nur Zahirah, Kuala Trengganu for further treatment but died at 7.40pm the same day.
A post mortem has been carried out and the ministry is still waiting for the results, he said.
The measles outbreak is reported to have occurred in Kampung Kuala Koh, Gua Musang in Kelantan, Kampung Gerdong in Hulu Terengganu, Terengganu and Kampung Ulu Sat, Jerantut in Pahang.
As of 9am Tuesday (July 9), since the measles outbreak was reported in June, some 174 cases with symptoms and four deaths had been reported. Kelantan recorded 144 cases and three deaths, Terengganu (22 cases and one death) while Pahang had eight cases.
Out of the number, 88 cases were confirmed to be measles with 67 in Kelantan, Terengganu (17) and Pahang (4).
Did you find this article insightful?