KUALA LUMPUR: MCA president Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong wants the government to explain why it introduced congestion charges when it promised to fully abolish tolls in its election manifesto.
"Previously, they promised to abolish the toll, but now not only have they failed to fulfil their promise, but they rebrand it as congestion charges.
"It means that they can still collect money even after the toll concession ends," he told reporters at the parliament lobby Tuesday (July 9).
Earlier in the Dewan, Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng said the government's proposed RM6.2bil takeover of four highway concessionaires would not do away with toll charges but would see motorists paying less for toll.
Lim defended the takeover bid as being done in the name of public interest.
In response, Dr Wee asked how the introduction of congestion charges would see motorist paying less for toll.
"It means, if the Shah Alam Expressway (KESAS), for example, its concession was for nine years, and after a period of nine years, although it has been promised (it would be) toll free, it has become toll forever.
"This will become a problem and will burden the rakyat.
"I do not understand his argument on how this will not burden the rakyat and instead benefit them, "he said.
"What is the rationale?
"We will still have to pay and continue to be charged under the congestion charges.
"Why must they still collect such charges even after the concession is over," asked the Ayer Hitam MP.
LGE: Proposed takeover of four highways will see motorists paying less for toll