Works Ministry to take over Pan Borneo Highway by September, says Baru Bian


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 29 Jun 2019

KOTA KINABALU: The Works Ministry will take over the Pan Borneo Highway project by September, once matters relating to the abolishment of the delivery partner (PDP) is sorted out.

Works Minister Baru Bian said payments for the project will be made accordingly, once the takeover is complete.

"The state government of Sabah will be in charge of the supervision and implementation of the project," he said during the launching of the Pan Borneo Dashboard application system here on Saturday (June 29).

He said as for the remaining 20 work packages for the Pan Borneo project in Sabah, it will only be carried out in the 12th Malaysia Plan (RMK-12).

"The Finance Minister would want to see the 20 work packages rolled out in RMK-11, but they do not have the funds, so it has to be done after RMK-11," Bian added.

On whether individuals especially villagers affected by the Pan Borneo project would be compensated, he said there shouldn't be a problem if both parties can agree on the amounts proposed.

"However, for those who have yet to get their compensations according to the time frame given can come directly to me to enquire," he said.

Funds from the Finance Ministry will be channelled to state governments before they are being released to contractors involved.

Contractors are in charge of paying the compensation to those whose lands are affected by the Pan Borneo Highway project.

However, many are complaining that they have yet to get their promised compensation and are having trouble rebuilding houses as their lands have been taken over for the project.

Earlier in the event, Bian said the launching of the Pan Borneo Dashboard introduced by a concessionaire of the project - Pembinaan Kekal Mewah Sdn Bhd - is a way forward in this digital age.

"With this web application, agencies involved would be able to monitor the progress of the project on a real-time basis without having to be physically present," he said.

He said they will get real-time date, borderless versatility, 3D modelling of the project, acquire dynamic management reports and search for information in its digital library.

"This would definitely save time and improve work competency," Bian said.

Kekal Mewah group director Jeremy Tan said the initiative to introduce this application is to make works for all parties involved more transparent and efficient.

Agencies and parties involved in the implementation, supervising and works related to the project will have access to this application.

"This project is very important to Sabahans, and that is why we feel that this app can really help ensure that works carried out are on time and at par with standards," he said.

Tan said a public feedback forum via the application will be available by mid July.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online