Malaysian carriers not using Boeing 737 MAX


  • Nation
  • Monday, 11 Mar 2019

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airlines says it is seeking more technical details about the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft from the aircraft manufacturer, following the deadly crash on Sunday (March 10) of a 737 MAX 8 operated by Ethiopian Airlines.

The national carrier said it is still too early to make any comments on the crash, as the cause had yet to be ascertained.

"We have however, written to Boeing, seeking for more technical details ahead of the delivery of our order expected in 2020," Malaysia Airlines said in a statement in response to questions from The Star.

The 737 MAX, with its inception in 2017, is the latest version of Boeing's workhorse narrow-body 737 jet.

Malaysia Airlines said it does not currently operate any Boeing 737 MAX planes.

However, the airline in 2016 announced a deal for 50 737 MAX aircrafts, with 25 firm orders and 25 purchase rights in a deal valued at US$5.5bil.

Malaysia Airlines, in its statement, expressed its condolences to all the people affected by the Ethiopian Airlines crash.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by the tragedy," the statement read.

A check with Malaysia's other major air carriers - AirAsia and Malindo - also revealed that neither currently operates any Boeng 737 MAX aircraft.

On Sunday, an Ethiopian Airlines 737 MAX 8 bound for Nairobi crashed minutes after take-off, killing all 157 people on board. It was the second crash of the 737 MAX.

In October last year, a 737 MAX flown by Indonesian budget carrier Lion Air flying from Jakarta on a domestic flight crashed 13 minutes after take-off, killing all 189 passengers and crew on board.

The cause of that crash is still being investigated.

Earlier today (March 11), China's aviation regulator ordered Chinese airlines to ground their Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, according to media outlet Caijing in a report.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 0
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Johor MB to embark on three-day official visit to S'pore from Feb 12
Umno has given all necessary details on no contest motion to ROS, says Zahid
Govt to look for better mechanism to help employers hire foreign workers, says Sivakumar
Second Smart team arrives in Istanbul to help Turkiye quake SAR
Genting Highlands accident: Family member clarifies 61-year-old "victim" still alive, claims police got it wrong
KLIA and KLIA2 may be rebranded by the first quarter of this year, says Transport Minister
National hockey player Hanis suspended over racist remark at AR Rahman concert
Hotlink Postpaid users get a free 10GB bump in data caps
Sabah to provide training in living skills, moral values to individuals rescued from the street
Nazri to be Malaysia's ambassador to US, says Wisma Putra

Others Also Read