MACC confirms there are six probes into Penang undersea tunnel project


  • Nation
  • Monday, 04 Mar 2019

PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) confirms that it has six investigation papers over the Penang undersea tunnel project.
 
The MACC revealed that the first investigation paper was opened in July 2017 and five more in January last year.
 
"A total of five investigation papers have been completed and referred to the deputy public prosecutor (DPP).
 
"Three have been returned to the MACC for further investigation and the DPP is looking the other two," it said in a statement.
 
The MACC is still conducting its investigation into the sixth case.
 
It was reported that the MACC had lodged a police report over leaked investigation papers from a case involving the Penang undersea tunnel project.
 
Political blogger Raja Petra Kamarudin posted several articles on his blog over the past week, said to contain the leaked information.
 
The blogger also alleged that several Penang state exco members are being scrutinised in the MACC's probe into the project.
 
The 7.2km undersea tunnel is part of a RM6.3bil project which also includes three paired roads.
 
In a separate statement, Consortium Zenith Construction (CZC) Sdn Bhd senior executive director Datuk Zarul Ahmad Mohd Zulkifli denied claims of bribery, saying that the blog was "pure fiction and concocted to deceive and defame me, my company and the Penang state government".
 
"I was remanded for 11 days by the MACC for what was billed as an extensive investigation into the project.
 
"Besides me, my entire company was called for questioning," he said.
 
Zarul Ahmad said the investigation lasted for 40 days and full cooperation was given, including close scrutiny of their accounts.
 
"The MACC had even hired external consultants to see if we were fair in our pricing," he said.
 
 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online