Hostages safe following gunfight


KOTA KINABALU: A Malaysian and two Indonesians held by Abu Sayyaf gunmen are safe after the militants trying to escape from Jolo island were caught in a gunfight with the Philippine military earlier this week.

It is learnt that the militant group with the three hostages, who were snatched from eastern Sabah waters on Dec 5 last year, were trying to flee Jolo when the military closed in on the group on Simisa island, off Jolo, on Wednesday.

Start your ads-free experience now!

Monthly Plan

RM13.90/month

Annual Plan

RM12.33/month

Billed as RM148.00/year

1 month

Free Trial

For new subscribers only


Cancel anytime. No ads. Auto-renewal. Unlimited access to the web and app. Personalised features. Members rewards.
Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

News , bureaus

   

Next In Nation

Trading 'guru' fleeces victim of RM3mil in cryptocurrency scam
Stiffer penalties for mule account holders in the pipeline, says Bukit Aman
Sabah has lots to offer Japanese investors in green energy and chipmaking, says minister
MCMC to begin process of appointing second 5G network operator
HPV vaccination campaign brings hope and protection to schoolgirls in Subang
Housewife, former lover escape gallows for murdering husband in his sleep
Health Ministry is working on a Lung Health Initiative, says Dr Dzulkefly
Motorist jailed five months after failing to pay RM10K fine for drink driving
Notice sent to S'gor Speaker to declare Selat Klang seat vacant, says Azmin
Hot wheels and models: Segamat businessman's swanky birthday bash goes viral

Others Also Read