Adib inquest: Fracas ensued after fire truck backed away from rioting scene

  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 27 Feb 2019

SHAH ALAM: A witness said a fracas ensued after the Fire and Rescue Department fire truck backed away from the site of the riots at the Seafield Sri Mariamman Temple on the morning of Nov 27 last year.

Nasaruddin Abdullah told the Coroner's court on Wednesday (Feb 27) that after the fire truck drove away, he saw a group of about 30 men gathered in a circle nearby.

"Berani korang masuk dalam kuil India (How dare you guys come into an Indian temple!)", he heard someone shouting from amongst the group, followed by shouts of vulgar words in Malay and Tamil.

Nasaruddin,  the 17th witness called for the inquest into the death of fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim, said the group also appeared to be kicking and punching a person or an object that was in the middle of the circle.

Under questioning by DPP Hamdan Hamzah, who is leading the three-member team from the Attorney General's Chambers, Nasaruddin said he noticed the fracas right after the fire truck reversed away.

It was then that he noticed there was an Emergency Medical Rescue Services (EMRS) van behind the fire truck, he said.

Hamdan: What did you see after that?

Nasaruddin: I saw that the van had turned around. Then I noticed about 30 people. They were circling something, and they were swearing.

"They said in Malay, 'How dare you guys come into an Indian temple'. They followed by saying 'crazy people' then they continued to swear in Tamil.

Hamdan: What else did you notice about the group?

Nasaruddin: It seemed that they were kicking and punching someone, but I couldn't see who or what was in the circle. It was only about five or six people within the group who were kicking and punching.

"Then I heard someone shout in Tamil, 'Police, police' and the 30 people started running away from the site.

Nasaruddin said it was then that he realised his friend Karthik was not at his side, sohe  shifted his attention away to look for his friend.

"When I looked again, I saw that several people were carrying someone who was wearing a Fire and Rescue Department trousers," he said.

Nasaruddin said he also saw two men, one on each side of the fire truck, smashing helmets against the windows.

When asked by Housing and Local Government Ministry lawyer Syazlin Mansor on whether he went closer to the group, Nasaruddin said no.

Syazlin: Why didn't you go nearer?

Nasaruddin: I was scared, so I stood where I was.

Judge Rofiah Mohamad is presiding as the coroner in the inquest at the Shah Alam Sessions court.

Now on its 11th day (Feb 27), the inquest will continue later in the afternoon.

Muhammad Adib, 24, was critically injured when he and his team members from the Subang Jaya fire station responded to an emergency at the Seafield Sri Mariamman Temple where riots were happening last November.

He was taken to SJMC before being transferred to the IJN for further treatment.

He died at the IJN on Dec 17, at 9.41pm.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 0
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Nation

Wet Thaipusam nationwide with heavy rain, thunderstorm forecast
Sabah seeks to learn from award-winning Indonesian village on community-based tourism
Stern action against employers who terminate locals to hire foreigners, says HR Minister
Sandakan man jailed seven years for sexually assaulting 10-year-old girl
Spanish court decision proof no basis to claims by so-called Sulu heirs, says Hajiji
Ex-Sanglang assemblyman attacked by mentally-ill man
Former executive charged with submitting false invoices
MRT Putrajaya Phase 2 to start operations in mid-March, says Loke
Umno polls: Khaled Nordin to defend VP post
KL High Court dismisses suit over bullying claims at special education school

Others Also Read