Namewee's 'Banglasia' gets green light from LPF


PETALING JAYA: The year is getting off to a great start for controversial Malaysian artiste Namewee, as the ban on his 2014 film Banglasia has finally been lifted.

Banglasia was originally scheduled for release on Jan 30, 2014, which was the Lunar New Year's Eve in Malaysia. 

However, it ended up being banned after LPF (Malaysian Film Censorship Board) objected to 31 plot points, which amounted to 90% of the film's content.

"I did not give up as I believe this movie is made for all Malaysians, telling a story of hope, love and sacrifice," said Namewee, whose real name is Wee Meng Chee.

He had previously directed Malaysian films like Nasi Lemak 2.0 (2011), Hantu Gangster (2012), and Kara King (2013), and had put his filmmaking career on a hold following the ban.

Banglasia is produced by digital media entertainment platform WebTVAsia and directed by Namewee who also stars in the 90-minute-long feature film.

After the change of government last year, the film's producers escalated their efforts in getting Banglasia approved for public screening this year. 

They finally received an official notification of approval from the LPF on Tuesday.

WebTVAsia Group CEO & Banglasia producer Fred Chong said, "It's a huge relief after five years of uncertainty. We finally received official approval from LPF on Feb 12. We will announce full details of the movie release at a press conference on Feb 20 together with our film director Namewee."

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam Baki files defamation suit against news agency
Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
Selangor Sultan receives RM11.47mil in business tithe contributions
Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar

Others Also Read