SHAH ALAM: The High Court has set 24 days starting March 11 for the two women accused of killing North Korea’s Kim Chol or Kim Jong-nam to enter their defence.
Judge Datuk Azmi Ariffin set the dates in chambers after meeting the prosecution and defence teams when the case came up for mention yesterday.
Indonesian Siti Aisyah and Vietnamese Doan Thi Huong were charged along with four others still at large with the murder of Kim Chol, 45, at the KLIA2 departure hall at 9am on Feb 13, 2017.
They face the mandatory death sentence under Section 302 of the Penal Code if convicted.
Counsel Gooi Soon Seng, representing Siti Aishah, 26, told reporters later that the court also set July 29, 30 and 31 for the prosecution and defence to submit written submissions.
Counsel Hisyam Teh Poh Teik, representing Doan Thi Huong, 29, said he would call five or six witnesses, including foreigners.
“Doan will testify from the dock for a week from March 11, while Siti Aisyah will testify from May 27,” he added.
On Aug 16 last year, the High Court ordered Siti Aisyah and Doan to enter their defence on a charge of murdering Kim Chol, who was the estranged half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
Last Thursday, the prosecution was ordered to provide the cautioned statements made by witnesses to the defence team.
This followed a decision by a Court of Appeal bench chaired by Justice Datuk Umi Kalthum Abdul Majid in allowing an appeal by Siti Aisyah’s counsel. — Bernama
Did you find this article insightful?