20 tonnes of firecrackers seized from double-storey house


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 02 Jan 2019

IPOH: The Perak Customs Department has seized 20 tonnes of firecrackers worth RM263,480 at a house in Lahat.

State Customs assistant director (enforcement) Datuk Azimah Abd Hamid said the seizure of the illegal items on Dec 27 was its biggest haul last year.

Azimah said they also arrested a 37-year-old man during the operation.

"The double-storey house is located at a guarded residence. Upon entering, we found the entire ground floor was filled with nothing else but firecrackers.

“The case is still being investigated, but we believe that it was for the New Year's Eve celebration and the upcoming Chinese New Year celebration,” she said during a press conference Wednesday (Jan 2).

“The suspect is being remanded for eight days from the date of his arrest,” she said, adding that the case was being investigated as possession of prohibited goods under Section 135 (1)(d) of the Customs Act 1967.


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online