Shop assistant, 19, claims she was raped by cop in Sarikei station toilet

  • Nation
  • Saturday, 10 Nov 2018

SIBU: A shop assistant has claimed that she was raped by a police corporal inside the toilet of Sarikei police station.

However, when the victim's sister lodged a report at the same station, the 19-year victim of mixed parentage, said the suspect's colleagues and a community leader in Sarikei tried to persuade her to drop the case.

She was told to give the suspect another chance, as he would be retiring in few years' time.

The victim related the incident, which happened on Oct 29 at a press conference in the presence of Lanang MP Alice Lau on Saturday (Nov 10).

The victim said she had boarded a bus from Kuching to Sibu at about 10pm on Oct 28 to celebrate her sister's birthday in Sibu.

"The bus arrived at Sarikei bus terminal between 4am and 5am the next morning. I alighted from the bus to go to a toilet. When I came out from the toilet, the bus had already left and realised that my purse and handphone were on the bus," she said.

She claimed she stopped a four-wheel drive vehicle which happened to pass by.

"I went with the man to chase after the bus but to no avail. I then used his handphone to tell my sister about the incident," she added.

The man then told her that it was better for him to bring her to the police station, as it was not safe for her to be outdoors at that hour.

"When he stopped his vehicle at the gate of the police station, he started to molest me. He asked me to go into the toilet of the police station. I did what he said as I was in fear," she claims.

It was inside the toilet that he allegedly raped her.

The suspect then sent her back to the bus terminal and gave her RM30 for bus fare and food to Sibu.

However, she came back to the police station at 10am with her sister, who had rushed to Sarikei to lodge a report.

"One of the men said I was lying. I then requested that all policemen on night shift that night be paraded for me to identify the suspect," she claimed.

After identifying the suspect, she then informed one of the officers.

"Two to three policemen told my sister to drop the case, with the reason that the suspect will be retiring in two to three years' time. Inside a room, another officer accused me of lying," she claimed.

Ten days later on Nov 8, she claimed that a community leader in Sarikei called her sister to "settle" the case as the suspect's family was ready to pay a certain amount of money.

Fearing for her safety, the sister lodged a police report at Sungai Merah police station in Sibu.

Lau said the two girls had approached her for help, as they feared that the case would be covered up by the police.

"I had approached the Deputy Home Minister in Kuala Lumpur and he told me that the police are investigating the case," she said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

What do you think of this article?

It is insightful
Not in my interest

Across The Star Online

Life Inspired has a chic new look

2020 is all about change, and Life Inspired did just that with a fresh makeover!

This month, we speak to 3 female icons about empowerment and more - read it for FREE this week.