PETALING JAYA: Malaysia already has a scheme similar to the free breakfast plan that the Education Minister announced is being considered for children in B40 group, says Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.
"Perhaps he was too preoccupied with the colour of his students' uniforms that he forgot that the Pakatan Harapan government has reduced the budget for the Supplementary Food Programme in Budget 2019," the former prime minister said.
In his Facebook posting on Wednesday (Nov 7), Najib slammed Dr Maszlee Malik's latest announcement which came during his working visit to the Itabashi Daiichi Elementary School, in Itabashi-ku, Tokyo, on Monday (Nov 5).
Najib said Dr Maszlee had overlooked the fact that the Education Ministry had been carrying out the Supplementary Food Programme since 1979.
He said under the programme, the Ministry gave RM2.50 per day to students in Peninsular Malaysia and RM3 per day for students in Sabah, Sarawak and Labuan.
He said Dr Maszlee did not need to go to Japan or look East to get inspiration, but should spend more time studying the Ministry's operations.
Did you find this article insightful?