Seven-day remand for two teenagers in Cradle Fund CEO murder case


The teenagers being brought into the courtroom for the remand hearing on Sunday, Sept 9, 2018. - FAIHAN GHANI/The Star

PETALING JAYA: Police have obtained a seven-day court order to remand for two teenagers in connection to the murder of Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Nazrin Hassan.

One of the teenagers was clad in purple attire while the other was wearing an orange lock-up attire when they arrived at the Petaling Jaya courthouse at 11.30am.

A family member was seen shielding the faces of the boys when they arrived.

The Court granted a seven-day remand for the suspects aged 14 and 16 beginning Sept 9. 

The investigating officer at the court house confirmed that the teenagers were remanded for seven days. 

The situation at the court became tense when family members of the teenagers prevented the media from taking their pictures. 

One of the family's lawyer then warned the media against taking any pictures or videos that featured the children in handcuffs, saying that it contravenes the Child Act 2001. 

Counsels Hisham Teh, LS Leonard and S Suresh acted for the two teenagers. 

The case is being investigated under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.

Last Wednesday (Sept 5), several news portal reported that two teenage boys had been arrested by police to assist in investigations. 

However, Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Mazlan Mansor said on Friday (Sept 7), that the teenagers were merely brought in for questioning. 

Earlier this week, police also detained Nazrin’s wife Samirah Muzaffar and her ex-husband, both 43.

A one-week remand order was obtained from a Petaling Jaya magistrate’s court to assist in the investigations. 

The remand order is due to be expire on Monday (Sept 10). 

Nazrin was killed in a fire at his home on June 14. Early last month, police reclassified the case as murder under Section 302 of the Penal Code following a forensic investigation by the Fire and Rescue Department.

Nazrin was found dead after being trapped in a fire on the upper floor of his house in Mutiara Damansara with burn marks on 30 percent of his body.

Samirah, a senior executive at the Malaysian Intellectual Property Corporation (MyIPO), had also criticised the authorities over the handling of the case. 

She claimed to have written to the department requesting for updates but was told that the report could not be given to her because Nazrin’s death was a high profile case. 

In a statement on Aug 14, she said she had requested for information on certain missing items belonging to Nazrin, which have not been seen since the incident. 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Penang allows congregational prayers based on mosque capacity from Saturday (Sept 18) for fully vaccinated
Health DG: Four Covid-19 cases detected after screenings of those leaving for Langkawi
Syed Saddiq issued letter of demand over allegations to destabilise Bersatu
TMJ: Johor Covid-19 task force to improve system used to screen, isolate, monitor and treat patients
Sabah needs full RM480mil allocation for flood mitigation, says Kitingan
Setting-up isolation centre for entry of foreign workers a right move to ease shortage of workers, says ACCCIM
PM’s assurance to address MA63 issues shows he understands needs of Sabah and Sarawak, says PBS
EMCO in two localities in Pahang and Sabah from Sept 19-Oct 2
Govt to channel RM500mil aid to SMEs from Sept 21, says PM
Covid-19: 19 new clusters reported on Friday (Sept 17), 11 linked to workplaces

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers