Police deny Cradle CEO’s stepsons arrested (corrected)


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 06 Sep 2018

SHAH ALAM: Selangor police have denied making any new arrests in connection with the murder of Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Nazrin Hassan.

Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Mazlan Mansor said there was no truth to news that his two stepsons were picked up by police.

“I can confirm that no new arrests have been made in connection to this case,” he told reporters at the Selangor police headquarters on Thursday.

When asked about the motive for the murder, Comm Mazlan declined to comment, adding that the case was still under investigation.

Two news portals had earlier reported that two teenage boys had been arrested by police on Wednesday night.

Earlier this week, police detained Nazrin’s wife Samirah Muzaffar and her ex-husband, both 43.

A one-week remand order was obtained from a Petaling Jaya magistrate’s court to assist the investigation.

Nazrin died in a fire at his home on June 14. Early last month, police reclassified the case as murder under Section 302 of the Penal Code following a forensic investigation by the Fire and Rescue Department.

Nazrin was found dead after being trapped in a fire on the upper floor of his house in Mutiara Damansara with burn marks on 30 percent of his body.

Samirah, a senior executive at the Malaysian Intellectual Property Corporation (MyIPO), had criticised the authorities over the handling of the case.

She claimed to have written to the department requesting for updates but was told that the report could not be given to her because Nazrin’s death was a high profile case.

In a statement on Aug 14, she said she had requested for information on certain missing items belonging to Nazrin, which have not been seen since the incident.

Earlier, two portals reported that police had arrested two teenage stepsons in their investigation, quoting sources.

This is because Nazrin’s neck had a puncture wound believed to have been from an arrow, and the two stepsons belong to their secondary school’s archery club, they said.

An earlier version of this story quoted the two portals. This story has been updated to reflect the police denial.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Zoo Negara has enough funds for the next half year but must prepare contingency plan, says Natural Resources Minister
Two high school friends from Ranau reunite at Universiti Teknologi Petronas after six years apart
Transport Ministry committed to helping the disabled, says Dr Wee
Floods: Number of evacuees in Terengganu rises, situation improves in Perak and Kelantan
Transport Ministry ready to help army veterans, says Dr Wee
Appeal by 33 people including Sabah CM over dissolution of state assembly withdrawn
Hamzah: Firms can hire foreign workers if they finance deportation of those held at immigration depots
No mining of non-radioactive rare earth elements until SOPs are followed, says Natural Resources Minister
Ismail Sabri: Action taken against 482 people over MCO violations on Wednesday (Dec 2)
Covid-19: Four new clusters detected with three in Sabah and one in Selangor

Stories You'll Enjoy