KUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Bintang MP Fong Kui Lun is expected to lodge a report with the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) over the Ramadan Bazaar scandal in Jalan Masjid India involving a Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia Youth leader.
This comes following news report that Pribumi Youth leader Mohd Noorhisyam Abd Karim was accused of allegedly misusing political connections to secure 80 bazaar lots and renting it out for as high as RM5,000 per lot.
Fong's special assistant Sally Sian said he would be filing a report once he returns from an overseas trip.
"Also, we have asked the traders, who had paid any fee in order to get the Bazaar Ramadan lots, to come to our service centre and clarify the matter.
"However, none have come forward so far but we still welcome them.
"There should not be any middleman handling the Ramadan Bazaar lot and this is a serious matter.
"If the allegations about Mohd Noorhisyam are true, we will leave it to MACC to investigate," she said during a press conference held at Taman Wahyu, Kepong on Saturday (June 16).
Kepong MP Lim Lip Eng, who was also present at the press conference, said the letter of support by Fong was given in good faith.
"This is to help the poor hawkers to get a lot in the Ramadan Bazaar, but there are culprits who use it for their own gains instead," said Lim.
Meanwhile, KL City Hall Licensing and Petty Traders department director Anwar Mohd Zain said he was disappointed that the entire Ramadan bazaar fiasco was made to look like DBKL was pointing fingers at certain parties.
"I want to go on record to say that we are not blaming anyone for this. We only made an exception in this instance to allow it (the allocation of bazaar lots) after receiving YB Fong Kui Lun's letter.
"But this was subject to them following the rules specified and not disrupting traffic," he added.