Man linked to fatal crash found living high life in Seoul


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 25 Jan 2018

Seoul skyline.

JASIN: A man who fled the country, apparently to avoid a court case involving a fatal accident, is back on police radar after he updated his Facebook and Instagram with pictures of himself living a high life in South Korea.

Police are now confident that justice will finally be served in the case where four women were killed in a car crash on Jan 23, 2015.

Ida Dollah, 46, her daughters Siti Rohana, 23, and Siti Rohani, 18, and her mother Saimah Wahab, 77, were killed on the spot when the Kancil they were in was hit by a car head on.

That car was driven by the man in his 20s, who was allegedly travelling at high speed.

The incident occurred in Jalan Serkam Pantai, off Jalan Bukit Gereja, in Umbai.

Initially, a magistrate’s court let the driver off the hook, but police appealed at the Sessions Court.

Jasin police were facing a dead end when the driver failed to respond to court subpoenas requiring him to attend the hearing in Ayer Keroh.

Two months ago, Jasin Traffic Department investigation officer Insp G. Gunaaseellan was tasked to track down the absconder.

On Jan 9, Jasin police issued a statement asking the man to contact them, even listing his last known address, but did not receive any response.

They also tried to get his number from his friends and relatives, only to be told that he left the country almost two years ago without leaving any contact detail.

The police finally resorted to tracking him through his social media footprint, and hit the jackpot when they found he had posted photos of himself in South Korea on Instagram and Facebook in the first week of January.

The slew of images showed him at posh restaurants in Seoul and posing beside luxury cars.

With the help of the Immigration Department, police tracked the man’s travel history.

They found that he was a frequent visitor to South Korea and had been living there since February last year.

DSP Arshad said police were making the necessary arrangements to bring him back, including applying for a warrant of arrest.

“We are confident of nabbing him very soon,” he added.

The victims’ sole remaining family member, Abdul Ghafar Said, 52, was thankful to Jasin police for reopening the case.

The fisherman said he had almost given up after the man did not turn up for the Sessions Court hearing.

“I lost my two daughters, my wife and my mother-in-law and even the hope of getting justice for them.

“I was relieved when police told me they have managed to trace him. I thank them for giving me good news,” Abdul Ghafar said.

Melaka Transport and Project Rehabilitation Committee chairman Datuk Lim Ban Hong praised the Jasin police for their relentless efforts in the case.

“This has sent out a strong message to the public – no one will be spared if they breach any traffic law,” he added.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

News , bureaus

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site