KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia is expected to announce its decision to resume its search operation for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 next week, said Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai.
The Transport Minister said this following reports that US-based firm Ocean Infinity had moved a vessel close to a search area off the coast of Perth, Australia.
"We are making preparations and we will announce it next week, after we finalise the contract," he said when met at Putra World Trade Centre here, Wednesday.
It was reported that the ship was due to arrive in Perth on Feb 7 after it set sail from Port Durban, South Africa on Tuesday.
Malaysia and Ocean Infinity have yet to finalise a deal for the search operations to resume.
Liow said the decision had been made with the agreement of China and Australia, and declined to comment on the cost of the search if the plane was found.
Ocean Infinity was among three companies offering to resume the search for the missing flight.
MH370 disappeared on March 8, 2014 during a scheduled flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board.
The search was suspended in January last year pending new credible evidence after an underwater sweep of 120,000sq km of the southern Indian Ocean proved futile.
In August last year, Liow said any decision to resume the search based on any new data had to be jointly made by Malaysia, Australia and China.
Did you find this article insightful?