More than 1,100 people have received death sentence in Malaysia


  • Nation
  • Monday, 27 Mar 2017

KUALA LUMPUR: More than 1,100 people have been convicted and sentenced to death by the courts up to Feb 21 this year, said Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.

"Based on statistics from the Prison Department, as of Feb 21 this year, a total of 1,122 prisoners have been found guilty and sentenced to death by court," said Dr Ahmad Zahid, who is also the Home Minster in a written parliamentary reply.

His reply did not state from when these convictions took place.

He was responding to a question from Kasthuri Patto (DAP-Batu Kawan), who asked the Ministry to reveal the statistics of prisoners who have been sentenced to death according to background and cases as of Feb this year.

Ahmad Zahid said a total of 16 inmates - 14 Malaysian and two foreigners - had been executed between 2014 and Feb 21 this year.

"From the total, a total of 15 prisoners have been sentenced to death for murder while the other one was due to a crime involving firearms," said Dr Ahmad Zahid.

Last week, The Cabinet agreed to review the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952 to allow judges to use their discretion in sentencing offenders instead of imposing the mandatory death sentence.

Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said said the review will enable judges to mete suitable sentences in marginal cases where offenders could be given jail sentences.
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Nation

Four suspects, including a policeman, nabbed for alleged robbery in JB
Cop found murdered with gunshot to head in Sibu
'Great mosque' once existed beneath A' Famosa, says Perzim
Senior cop linked to Nicky Gang released on bail
Former military intelligence head fined RM70,000 for corruption
Maqis hands over almost 10 tonnes of seized frozen meat to Zoo Negara
Covid-19: 2,448 private facilities registered as vaccination centres, 299 ready for operation
Covid-19: No sports, recreational activities allowed in MCO areas for two weeks
FT Ministry identifies bazaars, malls visited by hundreds of Covid-19-positive individuals, close contacts
Klang Valley roadblocks will follow district borders, says IGP

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers