PETALING JAYA: Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai has confirmed that the piece of debris recovered from Mauritius in April originated from the missing flight MH370.
“Examination of the item of composite debris recovered on the island of Mauritius has been completed by experts from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB),” said Liow in a statement on Friday.
According to the analysis by the ATSB, Liow said, with the concurrence of the MH370 Safety Investigation Team, part numbers on the piece of debris identified it as originating from MH370.
“From a part number found on a section of the debris, the piece has been identified as a trailing edge splice strap, incorporated into the rear spar assembly of a Boeing 777 left outboard flap.
“Adjacent to the part number was a second part identifier. The flap manufacturer supplied records indicating that this work order number was incorporated into the outboard flap shipset line number 404.
“This corresponds to the Boeing 777 aircraft line number 404, registered as 9M-MRO (MH370),” said Liow.
As such, Liow stated, the experts concluded that the debris belonged to the missing flight.
“This marks the latest piece of debris that has been examined, analysed, and confirmed to have originated from MH370, following the confirmation of the Tanzania debris last month,” he said.
He expressed his appreciation to the authorities of Mauritius and Australia for their support and assistance in the investigation.
Flight MH370, which was en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing disappeared on March 8, along with the 239 passengers and crew on board.A massive search operation is ongoing in the southern Indian Ocean where it was believed to have ended its flight.
Did you find this article insightful?