We were not racing, claim Myvi club members

KUALA LUMPUR: Members of the Familia Myvi Club are denying that they were racing and speeding on the DUKE Highway before an accident that left a couple and their infant child dead.

“Don’t believe what is being distributed online,” a representative of the club said.

“They do not know what actually happened. Our club is being criticised by other clubs, but we who were at the scene know the truth,” she said.

The female driver of the Myvi which crashed into the victims’ vehicle has also reportedly told police that it was the Pajero which had swerved into her lane and caused her to lose control of her car.

In her police report, the 35-year-old claimed that she was travelling from Danau Kota towards Mont Kiara when she sensed the victims’ car on the left coming into her lane.

“Because of that, I lost control of my car. After that I woke up and I was on the road and was injured in the mouth, right thigh and left hand.

“I was sent to HKL and was given three days’ sick leave,” she said in her report.

Their claims, however, have been disparaged by eyewitness Muhammad Zaki Abdullah, 18, who told The Star that he saw the Myvi convoy speeding.

“They were racing and they really shouldn’t have. I feel bad for the family. I saw the car spinning and the other Myvi cars stopping because of their friends. But I didn’t see where they disappeared to after that,” he said.

Meanwhile, a video has surfaced on social media showing the cars speeding past what looks like a toll plaza.

The drivers of the two Myvi cars involved in the accident have been released on police bail but the police have pledged to launch a “transparent and unbiased” investigation into the crash.

“Those who are found to have been careless and caused the accident will be brought to court and be charged,” said Bukit Aman traffic chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Mohd Fuad Abd Latiff.

So far, 11 people, including witnesses to the accident, had been quizzed by police.

Fairuz Nizam Husain, 35, his wife Nova Safitri Azhari, 27, and their seven-month-old daughter Nur Firuza Annisa were killed in the accident.

Bernama reported that Fairuz’s youngest brother, Muhammad Faizznur Asyraf, said his brother had once asked him and his siblings to take care of his family if he died.

Faizznur Asyraf, 25, said the tragedy occurred after Fairuz Nizam had sent his daughters Nur Firuza Amira, seven, and Nur Firuza Aqila, four, to their grandmother’s house in Putrajaya.

“The family was returning from a wedding reception when the accident occurred,” he said after the funeral yesterday.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Courts & Crime , accident , duke , police , myvi club , racing


Next In Nation

Dr Wee sends congrats to Aaron-Wooi Yik for Olympics bronze win
Emergency Ordinances revoked on understanding that the King wanted it done, says former Senate chief
Cops to take statements from five #Lawan rally organisers
List of walk-in PPVs in Klang Valley released
Covid-19: 165 fatalities bring death toll to 9,024
Covid-19: Two more community clusters detected in S'wak
Rally may cause further spread of Covid-19, says DPM
Go for organic pest control to reduce use of pesticides, Kitingan tells agropreneurs
Stop using Covid-19 as an excuse to halt final day of special sitting, says Pakatan
Suspect arrested over death of security guard in KL

Stories You'll Enjoy