Sarawak to assist in paying Wong Ho Leng's medical bills, says CM Adenan


By Yu Ji

KUCHING: In a move that is sure to surprise, Chief Minister Tan Sri Adenan Satem announced that Sarawak will "assist in paying" the medical costs incurred by cancer-stricken former Opposition leader Wong Ho Leng.

"We are doing this on humanitarian grounds," Adenan told a press conference at his office here.

"We assist Ahli Yang Berhormat (Honourable Members) whether they are in Barisan Nasional or the Opposition. We make no distinction because (members of) both are human beings, and we all get sick," he said.

Wong, who is Bukit Assek assemblyman and former DAP state chairman, is receiving treatment for brain tumour in Singapore.

Adenan said the government would take care of the medical bills of all elected representatives if they are treated in the country.

"All the YBs are entitled... within Malaysia. But to seek treatment outside Malaysia, they will have to pay on their own. This is the part where we want to assist the family of Wong," he said.

Adenan would not comment when asked about Wong's health.

"That one you got to ask the doctors," he said. On cost, Adenan replied the medical treatment was on-going and presently, "it is a running bill".

Adenan revealed that Sarawak DAP chairman Chong Chieng Jen had written to Legislative Assembly Speaker Datuk Amar Mohamad Asfia Awang Nassar recently about Wong's situation.

"Yes, there was a letter written by the Kota Sentosa assemblyman and Bandar Kuching MP to the Speaker. He was seeking assistance for the family of Wong. The letter has been brought to me, and this is our response."

In January last year, the 54-year-old Wong announced he was diagnosed with brain tumour. He has been Sibu's Bukit Assek assemblyman since winning the seat in the 2006 state election.

In May 2010, he became Sibu MP, winning a by-election following the demise of incumbent Datuk Robert Lau of SUPP. Wong did not contest last year's general election.

Wong did not show up at the last Sarawak Legislative Assembly sitting in November last year. Married to Irene Chang, he is father to five children.

Adenan also revealed that the Sarawak Government had written a letter of condolence to the family of the late DAP national chairman Karpal Singh.

"On behalf of myself and on behalf of the state Government, a letter of condolence has been sent to the family of the late YB.

"His demise is a great lost to the legal profession and the country's political scene," Adenan said.

Adenan described the late Karpal as a "prominent lawyer and bold politician respected by both friends and opponents," adding that he was "deeply saddened" by Karpal's sudden
demise in a car accident.

Another letter of condolence from the state Government was also issued to the family of the late Datuk Amar Dunstan Endawie Enchana, who passed away on April 11.

Endawi, who began public office in Sarawak's first Cabinet formed in 1963 at the time of Independence, rose to the prominent role of deputy chief minister, a position he served between 1977 and 1979.


The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Smooth traffic reported on several main highways as at 9.40pm
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan express sadness, sympathy at Trooper Indiran's death
Perak urges use of reusable bags ahead of ban on single-use plastics
Ramadan bazaars: A beloved annual tradition for Malaysians
Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief
Fire razes 10 houses in Kota Belud, families moved to relief centre

Others Also Read